Attend the second annual official opening of this year’s gathering and join us for the Procession of Nations in downtown St. Catharines.
The Procession of Nations was a very powerful and moving part of last year’s Celebration of Nations gathering. It displayed, in glorious sight and sound, the breadth and diversity of Indigenous peoples who live within the Niagara region and who travelled long distances from across the continent to participate. With that in mind, this year we encourage all those attending to bring along and proudly fly your Indigenous nation’s flag during this year’s procession on Friday, September 7, 2018 at 5pm.
As a point of solidarity and inspiration, it is vitally important that we showcase the resilient beauty of our cultures and peoples during this Celebration of Nations launch event!
Here are some ways in which you can participate:
1. Obtain your nation’s flag from your band council.
2. Haudenosaunee and Annishinaabe flags available to purchase online.
3. We will have the Two Row Wampum flag available for purchase at Celebration of
Nations (you might want to bring along a pole or stick to which you can attach the flag).
4. We will have white ribbon sashes available for you to re-create your nation’s symbol.
5. Print out your flag on an 8X10 paper and attach it to a stick
Beginning on St. Paul Street, the route of an ancient and enduring Indigenous trail, let us proudly walk together and honour our nations as we continue to celebrate Indigenous arts on the September 7-9, 2018 weekend!